“Life in Late Capitalism” Podcast Worksheet
1) Sarah Mirk (podcast host) gives a few examples of “late capitalism,” a Marxist term that was popularized by Ernest Mandel in the 1970s, meaning the “latest or most current stage of capitalism’s development” (Oxford). More recently, the term has been used both humorously/ironically and as a form of criticism regarding the current state of unequal modern economy and the growth of consumer culture. The Atlantic has defined its current usage as being “a catchall phrase for the indignities and absurdities of our contemporary economy, with its yawning inequality and super-powered corporations and shrinking middle class.”
Based on this definition/your understanding of the concept, what could another real-world example be?
2) What are the implications of the concepts of the “American dream” and “pulling yourself up by your bootstraps”? Why does Woodward say these concepts widely embodied in American citizens, yet largely unattainable? What are your thoughts on these concepts?
3) Mirk’s second guest, Lisa Gray-Garcia (Tiny), introduces herself as a poverty scholar based on her lived experiences with poverty, homelessness, and marginalization. What are the implications of Tiny (re)claiming the identity of scholar OUTSIDE of academic/professional spaces? How does this challenge our learned/preconceived notions of who can be a “scholar” and who is “allowed” to theorize?
4) What are some ways that poverty is criminalized (specifically in the United States)? Try and think of examples not provided by Tiny. Consider making connections between the podcast and the article on Kamala Harris.
5) In the interview with Jessica Lee, the host discusses the idea that we often associate our value as people with the amount of money we make/how much we can participate in the economy. Share your thoughts on this – do you think this premise is true? How so (examples)?
6) Lee talks about the tension between her anticapitalist community/teaching work, her relationship with her family (whose measure of success is often measured by economic prosperity), and living in a capitalist society. She also mentions the question a student posed to her: “How do you dismantle white supremacy in a white supremacist space? Thinking along this line of inquiry: how do/can we simultaneously dismantle harmful institutions while we are essentially forced to live/act within them?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We ensure that our writers and editors work within the work guidelines and follow all paper instructions to the letter. When placing an order, you choose the academic field and expert level (high school, college, university, or professional). Our team then assigns your paper to a writer with a respective qualification or degree to ensure that you receive quality work.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We employ professional writers with more than two years of experience in academic and business writing. Most of our writers and editors are native English speakers to ensure quality and professional work. We are confident that our team of professional writers can handle all types of business and academic writing work.
Free Unlimited Revisions
We provide a free revision service for all orders. If you feel that our writers missed something, you can request a revision of your paper at no additional cost. When we deliver your work, you have seven days to go through it and request a revision or modification if you are not satisfied. You can also contact our support team directly for any clarifications and queries on revision.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
We ensure that all papers are delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper requirements and deliver quality work, we may contact you and discuss a deadline extension. If a deadline extension is not feasible, depending on the work and submission deadlines, we guarantee a 100% refund.
Original & Confidential
To ensure that we deliver plagiarism-free work, we use various writing and plagiarism checking tools. Our professional editors' team carefully goes through all work and references used in papers to ensure proper referencing and that original work has been done. We also guarantee confidentiality in all the services that we provide.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support team is available round the clock for any customer queries and communication. We guarantee 24/7 customer support and assistance. Feel free to contact us at any time of day for questions and follow-ups.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
You do not have to spend sleepless nights worrying about your paper. We got you covered. We offer all kinds of writing services.
Regardless of the type of academic paper you need and its urgency, we have writers on call ready to work on your paper. Feel free to choose the field, educational level, and type of paper you want, and we will deliver it at an affordable price. We are here for all your academic and business paper needs. With our round the clock service, we guarantee that you will receive your work on time.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
Admission essays are written by students wishing to join a college, graduate school or university, as applications for enrollment. We guarantee quality admission essays and business papers with our professional writing and customer care support services.
We have experienced academic writers and editors who are on standby to make all the necessary changed to your paper at your request. We ensure that your paper is polished and appropriately formatted (APA, Harvard, Chicago/Turabian, MLA formats) before it is delivered.
We provide revision support, where you can request a revision of a delivered paper if you feel that it can be improved or repolished. Your paper is checked by an experienced writer or editor for revamping and improvement upon a revision request. Revision service is free, and you can use it as many times as you wish until you are satisfied with your paper.